Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Spook Creek

Headed to one of my favorites yesterday with Steve and Tyler. Each time I go the fishing gets harder and harder. The water was very low, very slow, and very clear. The fish that were always skiddish became ridiculously spooky. I would frequently see a nice big fish-wake from a spooked fish when I was a good 100 feet downstream from it, not making an noise. It was tough fishing, and I picked up three fish really quick in the lower section which has a few fast spots, but after that it was sloooooow. I missed two after the first ones I landed, but that was it. Steve and Tyler didn't have any luck either.
A little friend on our way back downstream.
After getting our butts kicked, we decided to head downstream from where we began. We have never fished below the bridge where this stretch begins, but decided to give it a try. It's much faster, and a lot easier to fish this time of year. Within a few casts of fishing it I pulled out this little guy.

A few fish later we headed out before we became a mountain lion's dinner. This place drives me nuts. Every time I go I see some really good sized fish. I've decided I will probably not fish this stretch until the browns are spawning, but I have very high hopes for when they do.

3 comments:

  1. Maybe if you choose names for your waterways that are less racist, you might better fish karma (or Dharma). Try fishing there the last hour of light and you will have better luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I noticed on our way out. Less spooky fish and more risers/bugs on the water. I will choose a less racist name for that water when my desire to catch fat 'brown' trout dies. I don't think its fair profiling them as 'brown.' Dang spooks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any relation to "Spook Hill?" (Here in Mesa)

    ReplyDelete