Thursday, August 27, 2009

Having just moved back up to Provo, I was excited to get out and do some fishing with my old buddy Nate. Our wives got together to go on a hike and watch a bike race with the little ones, so we headed up to a nearby small stream. Nate has been fishing this skinny water pretty frequently, and it was my first time. We fished big massive meaty hoppers and had some good success. We fished on through some really good holes and made it just further than Nate had ever gone when we got the phones calls letting us know that our wives were headed home. "Ok we can only see one more stretch of water, just one more bend." We turned the corner and wow the water looked money. Fished it out and said, "We really just need to see what else is ahead, just to see." Even better water. This went on for longer than any responsible non-fisher would approve of, but Nate and I have an addiction. Literally.

The water just kept on getting better and better and the fish along with it. The biggest fish Nate (his wife, actually) had caught on this stream was 16". Nate tossed his hopper and GULP, a big fish was on. We pulled this beautiful 17" golden bellied brown out of the net, much to our delight.
Nate called his wife to let her know we would seriously honestly just be a few more minutes, serious this time, and I landed a few more fish. I had switched to a royal wulff about 1 hour 1/2 earlier... it was the first dry I saw when I opened my pack and as I tied it on I said, "I'm just throwing this on real quick because we have to go very soon." I shoulda stuck with the hopper because as soon as Nate hung up the phone he landed this beeaaautttiful 17" cutt. I'd like to think that I missed these fatties because of my small, less hearty of a meal fly. Its the only excuse I got. Even if Nate stole all the fatties, it was an awesome awesome day of fishing.

All photos taken by Natedogg himself (Flikr)

3 comments:

  1. Looks like you found a better photographer than my sweet pentax. Nice fish

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see an absence of "Crazy-Chucko" poses. Whataya oneathose fitness freaks or somethin'?

    ReplyDelete